Garden Tasks for February
- Finalize the list for your seed order, if ordering from a catalog or online, and go ahead and place your order so the seeds will arrive in time to plant.
- Prune shade trees.
- Plant crops suitable for cooler weather such as: potatoes, onions, carrots, peas, spinach, lettuce, mustard, cauliflower, and cabbage.
- Add compost to your garden beds.
- Check your garden equipment if you didn't do it last month. Sharpen cutting edges, and clean and oil tools.
- If the weather doesn't cooperate and bring rain for an extended period of time, remember to water your perennials, trees, and flower and herb beds. Since the plants are dormant they won't show signs of stress due to lack of water.
- Look over the gardening books at the library and check out one you haven't read before (I'm enjoying reading about Lasagna Gardening!), then write a book review for the OOGA newsletter.
- Come to OOGA on the 27th and bring a friend.